Graduate Library Trainee
£23,200.00 (1 year fixed-term contract, with possibility of release after 6 months if already enrolled for study in September 2018)
Gray’s Inn is one of four Inns of Court responsible for calling barristers to the Bar of England and Wales. The Inn provides continuing legal education post-qualification, the Library, the Chapel, dining, scholarships, advocacy training and other facilities for students and barristers.
Gray’s Inn Library
The Library houses over 75,000 books, journals and law reports, including rare books and manuscripts dating back to the 11th century. It offers the full range of general English legal materials but also collects in over twenty specialist areas of law, including its flagship international law collection, maintained on behalf of all four Inns of Court. The Library also offers a range of online resources and a professional enquiry service for students and barristers.
You must be a university graduate (or equivalent). Previous library or information experience may be helpful but is not essential. Experience of working in an office or customer-facing environment is highly desirable. Knowledge of the law or the legal sector is not required.
We are looking for a confident, proactive individual who enjoys team-work and is interested in pursuing a career in librarianship. The post would particularly suit anyone seeking experience prior to studying for a library/information qualification, and a representative schedule of training and visits is included with the application pack.
• Provision of an enquiry service and legal research for barristers and students using hardcopy and online resources, in person, by phone and by email
• Fulfilling document supply requests for law reports, journal articles etc.
• Serials administration and cataloguing (under supervision) using SirsiDynix
• Library housekeeping tasks including looseleaf filing, shelving, binding preparation and some liaison with library suppliers
• Assisting with projects such as stock moves, re-cataloguing, creating library displays
• There may be an opportunity to contribute Library content to the Inn’s social media channels
The Inn offers a generous package of annual leave and other benefits, including free lunches during legal terms. For further details and an application pack please email firstname.lastname@example.org (quoting reference – Graduate Library Trainee – in the heading).
Closing date for applications: 26 January 2018. Interviews are expected to take place during the week of 5 February 2018 and a start date of 9 March 2018 at the latest is anticipated.
Gray’s Inn is an equal opportunities employer
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com